Movie Quirks – A Blogging Meme
I am not into blogging memes or tags but more so the ones that elicit personal information. A tag about the movies is something I wouldn’t like to miss. Amit has given me an opportunity with his blog post on his movie quirks. He listed 10 movie quirks peculiar to him. Half of them I share and I’m listing these five first. The words in italics are Amit’s words and I have either added or elaborated below:
1. I dislike sitting in the corner seat next to the aisle and almost always prefer sitting in the middle and not too close to the screen.
Well, that’s ideal and I agree with the logic. However I always choose a seat next to the aisle as it reduces the chances of sitting next to someone who may not turn out to be pleasant.
2. I don’t like it when people make loud noises slurping their drinks or munching on food while the movie is on.
Me too! And let me add that I don’t like to hear crying babies and toddlers which is a very routine thing here in India. When my kids were small I made sacrifices, but I guess times have changed.
3. Corollary to the above is people who talk or comment in the middle of a movie. I didn’t pay to hear you talk, and if you can’t be quiet for 2 hours, please stay out of a movie theater.
I don’t like it either if people chatter when the movie is on, even if they are my good friends. Okay, I might be tolerant for a while, but if they continue I tell them to keep quiet. I consider myself lucky if they take me seriously🙂 And one more thing, if anyone tries to tell me the story of the movie, I can be quite rude.
4. I used to kick myself if I missed even 30 seconds of a movie, but I’ve mellowed a lot.
I haven’t mellowed much. In fact I go a step further. I don’t like to miss the advertisements before the movie and the trailers either. I sort of like to get into the mood of the movie…and as the advertisements play one after the other, my anticipation builds up. Sounds weird huh! However I dislike to see long documentaries before the main movie…this used to be common some years ago, but now with the advent of the multiplexes, it’s not done anymore. They don’t have the time to waste showing documentaries. One more thing- it’s really nice if everyone else comes on time too because there is nothing worse than other people coming late and stamping on your feet on the way to their seat.
5. I don’t like walking out in the middle of a movie, even if I’m not enjoying it. It’s a question of fairness – I don’t want to trash a movie unless I’ve sat through the end credits.
Ditto here. However in cinemas in Mumbai its become impossible to watch the movie till the end. That’s because 80 percent of the audience stands up and if you sit in your seat you see nothing. I just walk very slowly so I can see as much as possible.
Here are five more quirks, peculiar to me:
6. There’s one quirk I used to have, which was seeing a movie on the first day first show. This has now worn off, because I can rarely make it happen.
7. Eating popcorn and coke is a sort of ritual with me. Call it obsessive compulsive behavior but I need the popcorn.
8. I like watching movies on the big screen. DVD and CD’s are a back-up arrangement if I have missed the movie and it’s not showing at any theatre.
9. I confess that I routinely develop crushes on movie stars. However they last only about a month until after the movie. I had this massive crush on Russell Crowe after seeing Gladiator and Beautiful Mind. I had a crush on Aamir Khan at one time too.
10. One more confession. From the age of 13 to the age of 14 I wanted to join Bollywood and become a famous movie star.🙂
I am tagging those whom I feel would be interested in such a meme. They either write about the movies and/or love the movies. They can do anything they like with the meme, turn it around on its head if they want to…even if it means saying that they don’t like people like me who tell them to shut up while watching movies🙂 So here goes in alphabetical order:
If there is anyone else who would like to take up these meme, they are welcome. And for those who have been tagged, take it up only if you feel like!