The Left is now where it belongs – in the Opposition
The Left Front reminds me of the mother-in-law who wants power without responsibility. We all know the havoc the Left Front has created ever since it decided to “support” the Congress led government. Well, now they have withdrawn “support” – thankfully!
Today there was an article in the Financial Express (Manoj CG) which talked about the Left’s incessant “opposing”, “criticising” and “advising” the Government. I am listing these points here (with additions from other sources), but am not going into the merits of each issue as that is beyond the scope of this article.
1) The Left Front opposed the opening up of the various sectors to FDI.
- Civil aviation
1) The Left Front also opposed:
- Divesting shares of public sector units
- The pension Bill
- The ordinance to amend Patents Act
- Foreign policy. For example it told the Government “not to resume military supplies to Nepal under the monarchy,” and not to have military ties with Israel
- Special Economic Zones
- The privatisation of Delhi and Mumbai airports
- Allowing private domestic airlines to operate on international routes
3. And then they’ve opposed the Nuclear Deal with America. China and India’s Left Front see eye to eye on this. In fact our communists are rather worried that once the nuclear deal goes through China will be “encircled,” and yes, they have unashamedly said it! The truth is that China has already encircled India. Quoting from that earlier post of mine:
China continues to supply missiles to Pakistan…but Pakistan is not the only country China is building bridges with. It has defence agreements with Nepal, Myanmar, and Bangladesh as well! China is also helping Pakistan build Gwadar port as a base for its navy and is lending a hand to Sri Lanka as well. It has signed an initial agreement worth US$360 million for the constructing the Hambantota harbour in Sri Lanka…
And I wonder what the Left has to say about the “Sino-Pak nuclear cooperation”!!
4. Our Left Front has also interfered in Security issues! This article tells the pathetic tale of how our Prime Minister “made a series of extraordinary threats to secure a guarantee from the Left Front government of West Bengal that a joint Indo-US military exercise would proceed unimpeded.”
I find it disturbing that the Left Front has dared to jeorpardize India’s security. It was necessary for India’s security preparedness to interact and learn from other countries. During the Cold war India was limited to interaction with the Soviet Union. Now our country has a chance to expand it’s defense know-how but the Left Front is keen that we stick to Russia and China only! As if neither China nor Russia have their self-interest in mind! Sure, America has its self-interest in mind, and so does every other country. Naturally, China supports the Left Front on this as well.
5. The Left has also pressurized the government to “expedite the Iran-Pakistan-India gas pipeline project.” In fact the communists are saying are saying that if the Iran-Pakistan-India gas pipeline’s does not go through it means that India is a kow-towing to America! One equals the other!
The Left also created a huge fuss when India voted against Iran at the IAEA on Tehran’s nuclear issue, because according to them this means that India is America’s slave! To the communists, their suspicion of America is the prison prism through which they view everything.
6. The communists vigorously opposed the recent fuel price hike, a hike which was inevitable and in national interest. But they preferred to strike and create mayhem in the country resulting in the loss of crores of rupees to the nation.
7. On the other hand, the communists have been stingy with praise and while they did support the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, they were not giving any television interviews applauding the government although they are quick to give interviews lambasting the government. Nor have they openly praised the increase in budgetary allocation in health and education sectors in the last budget.
Note: The above post was sparked off after reading Manoj CG’s story in the Express, and is simply an attempt to sum up for readers the extent of the communists’ opposition to the government.
(The photo of the Left Front leaders are from cpim.org)
Related Reading: People in Asian countries don’t like each other, but they like America
Does India share common values with the west?
The Economist is opposed to the Nuclear Deal
India has reasons to be wary of China