Summary post, awards and more
This is a summary post after two long months. A total of 19 posts, some long, some short. I really doubt whether anyone reads these summary posts and therefore am giving a very short summary. Before I summarize let me mention the three awards I won recently. The Outstanding Blogger award from Dev, the Blog-o-laureate award from Arpit and the Indiblogger of the month from Indiblogger. To know more about these awards check it out here.
What I’ve written in the last two months:
- Which is worse: Inequality or Extreme Poverty? – a post with statistics comparing poverty levels of different countries and also discussing as to whether the inequality of capitalism is really that bad.
- The Newspaper Photograph – re-posted a short story. Thanks to all those who appreciated it!
- Kashmir through the eyes of a Kashmiri – the point of view of a Kashmiri Pandit I met. The comments on this post too a surprising turn and went on to discuss what it means to be Indian.
- What India was thinking about yesterday, the fourth of May – a visual presentation of different English newspapers of India to compare the news that each newspaper gives importance to.
- Voting day finally arrives – just showed my middle finger to the jokers in power!
- The onward march of Pakistan’s Taliban – the way I see of what is happening in Pakistan, alongwith links.
- Math tips on when to stop looking for a better partner! – book review. One chapter of the book (on the chances of getting a better partner) summarised.
- The Indian Postal Service takes action! – Prompt response plus action by the Pune post office on a complaint. To add to this, recently my husband had a problem with the Pune Municipal corporation site where we pay our house tax for an apartment we own in Pune. The ICICI tab was not working and so my husband complained to the email id given there. Our mouths fell open when we got a response within 12 minutes and it wasn’t even office time! Not an automated response but from a deputy general manager saying that the problem will be fixed within 24 hours. Apparently he was responding from his Blackberry! And the problem was fixed in 24 hours! Three cheers to these government departments! 🙂
- Mee Shivajiraje Bhosale Boltoy Movie Review
- Why we blame victims – there is a human tendency to blame victims and in this post I have tried to find out the reasons why.
- I did finger analysis of famous people, like that of Barack Obama, Sonia Gandhi and Lal Krishna Advani. I stopped because it was tiring. For me reading hands means immersing myself totally in the person and it needs very high concentration. In fact if anything I require to be in the right mood to read a hand. At times I can’t do it for weeks! So now I am off it for a while at least.
- Our elected representatives don’t really represent us – statistics about how vote shares of elected representatives are so low that they don’t actually represent the people!
- Refugees of the world – Some statistics and information on the subject with reference to India.
- Pune signboards (Puneri Patya) – funny signsboards from Pune.
- Videsh Movie Review – didn’t like the cinematic treatment.
- Firaaq Movie Review – the post became controversial because I empathised with the point of view of the filmmaker who makes the point that rioting and murder and rape don’t have any “other” side. That only those with a criminal mentality and crazy people kill strangers.
- Incest needs public debate and a stringent law to combat it – Incest is common in India but we do not want to talk about it and we don’t have proper laws to prevent it.
- Public sector companies eager to hire IIM graduates – hiring trends of IIM grads.
- Photographs of Matheran – a photo post.
I have not done too many movie reviews of late because I haven’t been seeing movies. There is a dispute between the multiplex owners and the producers and releases have been postponed.
So that’s it then! Have a good week!