If your comment does not appear immediately do not worry. It has gone for moderation. Therefore, there is no need for you to submit the comment again. I generally try to check as soon as I can but at times it could take a day or so. If you have a website, kindly note it down in the box which says ‘URL.’
The following points to be noted:
1) If you want to post a comment on an article, this is not the place…you need to go to that article itself. Just click on the words ‘Comments’ at the bottom of the article and the comment box will appear. You can also click on the title of the article for the comment form to appear. This page is here only to tell you what kinds of comments are acceptable.
2) Your comments are highly valued so go ahead and say it, but please be polite! Remember, this is not a discussion board where anything and everything goes. It’s a personal blog.
3) To explain further, think of this blog as a public space much like an office, and respect it as such. If you disagree with something, challenge the nature of the argument, not the person or the person’s right to have that opinion. Also labelling me, assuming me to be of a certain nature or of certain leanings, or in fact any kind of assumptions about me will not be published. Also no personal attacks, abuses or unsubstantiated allegations will be published, whether it is about a public figure, a commentator or me. If the comment puts forward a coherent argument, then it may not be deleted but simply edited. Or the comment will be deleted anyway, due to lack of time for editing. Just keep in mind that everyone, including me, has a right to an opinion, and it need not be the same as yours. Also commentators who do not agree with you do not automatically become idiots.
Hurling accusations, calling names or giving labels to me or other commentators just because I/they don’t agree with your views shows your inability to put forward an intelligent argument (if indeed you have one) and shows you in a poor light. For example if you don’t agree with something, write the points you don’t agree with, don’t waste your time writing nasty comments (as they won’t be published anyway) by calling names and giving labels to people and telling them how idiotic they are being and how little they know as compared to you. In other words, don’t be dumb, be smart.
If you make a serious allegation against a person, kindly support it with an internet link which means a link where your allegation has been proven. Just more accusations will not be considered a proper link. In fact, all such comments (which are personal accusations) will be considered baseless and defamatory and dealt with sternly. Please remember that according to the law, I can be persecuted for any defamatory comment about any person, even if I don’t write it. You can read about the law here.
4) Racist comments will not be published and nor will comments denigrating any community or religion. In fact, no indecent, inflammatory, slanderous or uncivil comment/trackback will be published. Some people like to goad others or put them down or pick a fight…in that case they can do it somewhere else.
5) Any comment or link irrelevant to the post may not be published and nor will repetitive comments or comments or links which fuel hatred or contain false information.
7) If you make any strong claim it is preferable that you give some reference by way of a link to back up your statement and if your statement is thought to be blatantly false, it can be deleted. In fact if you are challenging the authenticity of any article (not just my blogpost, but also the references which I have quoted) it’s best that you furnish an equally authentic link.
8] Although I publish anonymous comments, they make me uncomfortable. It will be nice if you choose a name, any name. Please give a valid email address. Don’t expect respect if you email id is not genuine. You can always create a new email ID for the purpose of commenting if you do not want to give your usual one.
9) The opinions expressed by the commentators are not my own.
10) Twisting or misinterpreting either the post or the comments will not be appreciated and will get an appropriate response. Such a comment could well be perceived by me to be dishonest, specially if the same commentator does it again with a different post. Such comments will either be responded to firmly, edited, ignored or deleted.
11) Arguments are welcome…put across in a decent, civilized way. In fact I welcome a debate. But do remember that I too have a right to my opinion! One person suggested to me that I should write all points of view, but that’s ridiculous as this is a blog, not an academic treatise. If I wish to write what I see myself, what I believe in I will do so. At times I do put forward other points of view, but there is no guarantee of it. After all, the comments form is there for you to present another view…but do remember that it’s a conversation and not a quarrel… :)
12) Also please don’t tell me how dare I write such and such and what right have I etc…because as long as I am not defaming anyone I have the right to my opinion and a right to present my work the way I like. I cannot write what you would have written on your blog or do it the way you would have. In any case you are not charged for accessing my blog so I do not think you have a right to tell me to write it your way. I will write what I know and about the world as I see it.
I know all this sounds obvious, and if it does, great! :)
So why all these restrictions? Well, the rights of this blog lie with me. And as in my personal life I tend to be a polite well-meaning person I tend to seek out those who are like this – no matter what their religion, their political leanings, caste, country or colour.
1) To all those who comment here just to tell other commentators to shut up and end the discussion: Sorry pal, your comment will not be published. There is no compunction on anyone to comment here. If people get bored they automatically stop commenting. That is their privilege. They don’t need anyone to tell them to shut up.
2) Anti-national comments (calls to cut India into little bits) will not be published. Nor will anything insulting about my country.
3) Comments of a commercial nature will not be published. Nor will comments with commercial keywords in the “name” space. That space is for a name of a person, not a company. If the comment is genuine, then all keywords used as names will be changed to the actual name of the commentator, if there is one given. Otherwise the comment will be deleted.
4) Links to spam sites linked to the name will be deleted as well as any spam site included in the comment. Links to commercial sites are acceptable only if they add to the post, as the main purpose of my blog is to provide to the reader with as many views on the subject as possible.
5) Also, do remember that there is no need to give a link to your blog in the comment box as long as you fill in the url box. This automatically links your name to the site you wish. There is no guarantee that I will keep such a link.
6) Do avoid inserting a comment only for the sake of promoting your blog or your friend’s blog by giving a link to a particular post on that blog…I really cannot say whether I will keep the link. People who do this regularly are called link droppers and blog whores, and/or blog pimps. Often the posts they give the link to are not quality posts and/or are irrelevant to the main post. If you are commenting just for the sake of promoting your own blog I may not keep the link (the judgment rests with me). If I make exceptions, it’s because the person is a friend and a regular commentator who has left valuable comments on my blog in the past (not links to his own posts).
If you do want to promote your blog, it’s best that you visit desipundit or Indianpad which have been created for exactly that purpose…to provide links of quality posts. You will find their the links to those sites here.
7) Also at times comments slip into the spam folder and there is no logic or reasoning behind this. Only WordPress knows. While I try to retrieve genuine comments from there, it can happen that I miss some. At times I delete spam without checking so be understanding if you feel your comment hasn’t appeared inspite of it being a polite comment, and inspite of its main content not being a commercial message, or it’s main message not an advertisement for your own blog!
8] At times the comment may go into moderation because of a word you use and please don’t take it personally. As I used a moderation filter, some comments may get caught either in moderation or they might go into the spam folder…this is based on words, phrases, and/or links. You can always write to me if you feel you have been accidentally blocked.
9) If I find that you are writing nasty comments, making false statements or tall claims, or using multiple identities, I reserve the right to publish your IP address so anyone can track you down.
10) Please do not ask me to review your website, book or product. I don’t do that on my blog. I only review books or films which I happen to read/see on my own. Never on the recommendation of the author.
11) Comments with an obscene avatar (for eg. showing nudity) will not be published.
12) Boys and girls wanting to contact each may NOT provide their email addresses. This is not a dating site.
I urge you to read something on Net Etiquette if this is the first time you are commenting here, or are new to the internet world, or you simply want to know more about how to write comments effectively. Also do read this wiki explanation of what Flaming is. It means basically to provoke others by being nasty and rude.
Thank you for coming to my blog and I hope you will join in the conversation! :)
Related Reading: Why I blog